This 15 week full-time programme is intended for learners of English as an additional language who wish to apply their English language proficiency to a specific context
You will learn how to:
- understand the main points and some specific details of moderately complex oral texts on reasonably familiar topics relevant to the applied context.
- participate with some confidence in sustained spoken discourse on reasonably familiar topics relevant to the applied context.
- understand main points and some specific details of moderately complex written texts on reasonably familiar topics relevant to the applied context.
- write clear connected texts on reasonably familiar topics relevant to the applied context.
This qualification leads to the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4)
Completion of these qualifications will assist students to meet the English language entry requirements for WITT’s certificates, diplomas and degrees.
Holders of the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3) will have the English language skills to work in positions that require:
- Participation in face-to-face interpersonal communication
- Response to basic, context-specific texts
- Production of simple, context-specific record-keeping
- Foreign-born nationals whose first language is not English (international students or foreign born resident visa holders)
- NZCEL Level 3 (General) or equivalent.
Any applicants whose first language is not English may be required to provide evidence of an overall IELTS (Academic) band score of 5 (with no score below 4.5 in speaking, reading, writing and listening) or equivalent.
- TOEFL (pBT) score of 500 (with an essay score of 4.0 TWE)
- TOEFL (iBT) score of 35 (with a writing score of 14)
- Cambridge English Examinations: B2 First or B2 First for Schools with a score of 154. No less than 154 in each skill
- OET: Minimum of Grade C or 200 in all sub-tests
- PTE (Academic) score of 36 with no band score lower than 36
- NZCEL Level 3 with an endorsement General
- LanguageCert - B1 Achiever IESOL (LRWS) with PASS and no less than Pass in each skill