The purpose of this qualification is to provide the hairdressing industry with people who have obtained sufficient knowledge, practical skills and attitudes to perform limited salon and client support services that contribute to the effective operation of the salon
This programme is based in our hairdressing facility which has three salons. Industry standards and expectations are applied at all times with a good balance between theory and practical training.
Students will work on live models and undertake work experience.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of salon culture, hierarchy and specific industry terminology to communicate appropriately with clients, peers and supervisors within the salon and follow instructions and ensure observation of technical skills is respectful of the client experience
- Undertake limited reception duties, including appointment making, home hair care sales and maintenance of retail product displays
- Apply knowledge of the key role a salon assistant plays to provide limited support services that contribute to the client journey through the salon
- Perform a limited scope consultation, including hair and scalp analysis
- Perform elementary styling tasks, including blow drying, moulding, setting and long hair ups
- Safely hold scissors, follow a pre-cut guide, comb and project the hair and maintain even tension on a mannequin
- Mix, apply and remove a limited range of colour treatments as directed
- Understand the process and basic principles when neutralising chemical reformation services
- Meet the personal health and presentation requirement
For students to be considered to have satisfactorily completed this programme, and to be awarded the New Zealand Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support) (Level 3), they must have:
- Completed required practical and theoretical course work and assignments.
- Achieved all of the graduate outcomes in the graduate profile showing competence to a minimum of 120 credits
Applicants under 20 years:
10 credits at NCEA Level 1 or equivalent in both literacy and numeracy
Three years’ minimum secondary education
Preferred school subjects include Science, Maths, English and Art. Other desirable skills include communication skills and customer service skills
Desire to work in the hairdressing industry
Applicants over 20 years:
Applicants over the age of 20 years at time of enrolment will be considered where they can demonstrate the ability to succeed in a programme
English Language Requirements
- IELTS test - General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5
- TOEFL Paper based test (pBT) - Score of 500 (with an essay score of 4 TWE)
- TOEFL Internet based test (iBT) - Score of 35 (with a writing score of 14)
- Cambridge English Examination - B2 First or B2 First for schools with a score of 154. No less than 154 in each skill.
- OET - Minimum of Grade C or 200 in all sub-tests
- NZCEL - a) Expiring Level b) Current: a) Level 3 (General) or (Workplace) b) Level 3 (General)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE (Academic) score of 36 with no band score lower than 36
- Language Cert - B1 Achiever IESOL (LRWS) with PASS and no less than PASS in each skill
- Trinity ISE - ISE I with no less than distinction in any band