This programme prepares students to work in the sought-after area of software development. Graduates of this programme gain key skills in coding, scripting and app development, and are able to analyse, design and develop software systems and solutions in a range of organisational contexts.
The New Zealand Diploma in Web Development and Design (Level 5) makes up the first year of this 2-year diploma
- Year 1 - New Zealand Diploma in Web Development and Design (Level 5)
- Year 2 - New Zealand Diploma in Software Development (Level 6)
What you will learn
The qualification is designed for people seeking to focus on one or more application domains, such as general Application Development, Web Development, Games Development, and Mobile Applications Development.
- Analyse requirements, design and document software solutions for a range of problems in an organisational context.
- Write and maintain programs using design patterns, data structures and algorithms to meet specifications.
- Apply a range of software quality assurance techniques to verify correctness of systems.
- Apply data management and storage technologies to support the software application and the development process.
- Establish application security by integrating security principles throughout software development to ensure system integrity.
- Choose, justify and apply architecture, technologies, and tools, to implement the software solution.
- Apply IT technical support concepts and practice to manage hardware and software resources to meet organisational requirements in a software development context.
- Apply project management tools and techniques to an IT related project, to analyse and solve problems.
- Behave with integrity as a responsible Information Technology professional to contribute positively to society.
- Apply communication, information design, personal and interpersonal skills clearly and professionally to enhance working effectiveness, efficiency, and quality outcomes in an organisational environment.
Courses in this programme
A New Zealand Diploma in Software Development (Level 6) is awarded when students have achieved 240 credits, including all compulsory courses as listed in the programme structure.
For the first year courses, please see the New Zealand Diploma in Web Development and Design (Level 5).
Courses (Year 2)
- 6639.6010 - Systems Analysis and Design
- 6639.6011 - Web Services and Design Methodologies
- 6639.6012 - Algorithms and Data Structures
- 6639.6013 - Data Management
- 6639.6014 - Project Management
- 6639.6015 - Project 2
- 6639.6016 - Special Topic 2
New Zealand Diploma in Software Development (Level 6)
Students enrolling are recommended to hold one of the following qualifications, or equivalent knowledge, skills and experience:
- NCEA Level 2 or 3 with appropriate credits in mathematics and digital technologies subjects
- New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology Essentials (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Web Development and Design (Level 5)
All applicants must:
- be at least 16 years old at the time the programme commences
- be able to read, write, and communicate in English at a basic level
- be physically able to complete the programme specific outcomes
IELTS test - Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5
TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) - Score of 60 (with a writing score of 18)
TOEFL Paper-based test (pBT) - Score of 550 (with an essay score of 5 TWE)
NZCEL - Level 4 (Academic)
Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE (Academic) score of 50 with no band score lower than 42