Why Otago Boys' High School?
- One of New Zealand's oldest state schools (established 1863) with a strong reputation for academic and sporting excellence.
- NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) offered in a wide range of subjects and Scholarship offered in key subject areas
- Beautiful campus, featuring heritage buildings, majestically overlooking the city and within walking distance of central city shopping, arts and culture
- Strong focus on academic and pastoral support for international students
- Pathway to top universities in New Zealand and around the world
- Outstanding outdoor education programme including access to the School Lodge in Mt Aspiring National Park (near Wanaka)
- Wide range of sporting, extracurricular and cultural activities with high quality coaching and training.
- Boarding and homestay options for international students
Academic and Application
- OBHS offers a wide range of subjects across the years 9-13
- Domestic and international students are integrated in most classes
- Specialist ESOL classes are available for second language speakers (at least 4 per week)
- Main intake in late January but students can start at most times of the year (particularly April (Term 2) and July (Term 3))
- Short-term enrolments accepted – generally one or more terms
Pastoral Support and Accommodation
- Assistance with student visa renewal each year and OBHS can secure pathway visas for students
- Dedicated International Department focused on academic, accommodation and pastoral support
- Orientation for new students and student mentors available for ongoing assistance
- In-class support and one-on-one tutoring available
- A homestay placement service arranges high quality homestay accommodation
- Boarding House provide accommodation across all years of study with meals, personal and academic support, and activities included. The Boarding House is walking distance to the School and central city shopping and services.
Sport and Extracurricular Activities
- Wide variety of sports (over 30), clubs and cultural activities available
- High performance sport options in rugby, cricket, soccer, basketball, and athletics
- Regular interschool competitions as well social sport options
- School pool available for swimming, waterpolo training and Outdoor Education water preparation
- Classical and jazz orchestras, drama productions, debating, theatre sports
- OBHS Lodge in the Matukituki Valley (Mt Aspiring National Park) provides outstanding outdoor education and field study opportunities for students
- Outdoor Education can be take as a subject at Years 12 and 13 - typically includes surfing, mountain biking, hiking and snow sports
AddressOtago Boys' High School
Phone number+64 3 477 5527