Number of awards
AUT provides doctoral scholarships to highly achieving doctoral research students to AUT University in order to encourage and stimulate doctoral studies in areas of the University’s research capability.
The full scholarship normally consists of the following:
• Tuition fees (at the domestic rate) plus the compulsory student services fee; and
• An annual stipend of NZ $25,000 per annum.
Applicants for the AUT Doctoral Scholarship will also be considered for one of the following Faculty or School funded options:
• A Full Fee Scholarship
• Full fees plus an annual stipend equivalent to at least NZ $20,000 or the minimum living cost criteria for Immigration NZ student visa, whichever is the highest.
Recipients of this scholarship will have an excellent academic record, strong academic references and have demonstrated the potential for high quality research.
• Scholarships are awarded on academic merit and recipients of this scholarship will normally have the equivalent of first-class honours. Previous study should include research methodology paper(s) and an independent research project, including the writing of a report on that research.
• The applicant’s proposed field of study must be one where the University can offer supervision. Applicants should contact potential supervisors prior to application to confirm the availability of supervision for their proposed research.
• Preference will be given to new applicants to the doctoral programme at AUT, including those currently in provisional candidature.
• Applicants who have applied and been shortlisted but unsuccessful in a past round may apply again in one subsequent round only.
• Applicants who have applied unsuccessfully (not shortlisted) in past rounds may reapply only if there is a change to the information submitted.
AUT Doctoral Scholarships - 1 March, 15 July, 1 November
Students can apply online.