The Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci) is a one-year programme which builds on an undergraduate science degree. The diploma encompasses both papers and a research topic, and can be taken full-time. It provides possible to the Master of Science (MSc) degree by thesis only.
Telecommunications is all about the devices, systems, and techniques that enable people to communicate with each other. This involves looking at the way information is transmitted over various media, and how networks of these communications media are organised, managed and used.
Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci) in Telecommunications
120 points from 400-level TELE and approved 400-level COSC, ELEC, INFO, PHSI or SENG papers.
Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
Every applicant shall have fulfilled one of the following condition
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Science majoring in the subject or subjects of study proposed
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma
- have a qualification acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and produce evidence satisfactory to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor of ability to proceed to the diploma.
English language requirement
- IELTS Academic - Score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0). IELTS Online is also accepted.
- Internet-based TOEFL - Score of 90 with a minimum writing score of 21
- Paper-based TOEFL - score of 587 (TWE 4.5)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) & Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - Minimum of 176
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic - Overall score of 58 with no communicative skills score below 50.
- LanguageCert - International ESOL: C1 Expert (LRWS) with a high pass overall and no less than a pass in each skill OR C2 Mastery (LRWS) with a pass overall and no less than a pass in each skill
- NZCEL - NZCEL 5 Academic endorsement
- University of Otago Language Centre ‘English for Otago’, English for Postgraduate Academic Purposes (EPAP) - Grade C or higher
- University of Auckland English Language Academy (ELA) pathway programmes - Successful completion of the English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS) with a B Grade
- University of Auckland Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes (FCertEAP) - Successful completion of the certificate with a B Grade
- English NZ's Accredited Pathway Assessment - English NZ’s Accredited Pathway Assessment Level 3 (with no skill lower than Level 2).