Private Training EstablishmentPraxis
This course is available
Level of Study
Next start date
Expected Feb 2025
A graduate of the Diploma is able to design and lead programmes with young people using therapeutic and positive youth development approaches. This programme is for you if you plan to pursue a career in youth work and are confident in study at a tertiary level. The Diploma will focus on building your practical experience in leadership across diverse cultural contexts, and blend this with preparing you for further study at under and post graduate levels.
What Would I Learn At Praxis?
– To operate safely and ethically as a youth worker.
– To connect and walk alongside people from different backgrounds to your own.
– To build confidence in using te reo Māori, awareness of tikanga, and the relevance of Te Tiriti O Waitangi to youth work.
– To contribute to the development of a young person and respond appropriately in a crisis.
– To look after yourself as you help others.
– To facilitate groups and work effectively with people one to one.
– To understand leadership and work as part of a team.
– A range of evidence-informed frameworks that inform youth development
– To explore your own spiritual journey and how to integrate your faith in your work.
– To develop networks in your own community for meeting the needs of young people.
The minimum age for entry into a Praxis course is 18.
• Praxis courses require each student to be based in an Agency - a school, church or community organisation that is willing to provide supervision and support as you develop your practice with young people in your community. We can help with suggestions, but this arrangement is your responsibility and must be set up as part of your enrolment process.