The purpose of this qualification is:
- To provide the hospitality sector with competent employees who are able to work as chefs in junior positions producing basic dishes in a commercial kitchen.
- To provide individuals who are employed or will be employed as chefs in junior positions a qualification that will support their employment opportunities in a commercial kitchen within hospitality establishments.
- To implement established standards of professional practice for basic cookery that can provide customers with confidence in a range of hospitality environments.
On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- GPO1 Apply health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
- GPO2 Communicate effectively and behave in a professional manner with colleagues, managers and customers.
- GPO3 Follow standard operating procedures to deal with familiar problems in a commercial kitchen.
- GPO4 Apply fundamental cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of basic dishes employing commodities commonly used in industry