The University of Otago Science Horizons Scholarships (originally known as University of Otago Frontiers of Science Scholarships) were established by the Division of Sciences in 2006 to encourage high-achieving students to enrol in undergraduate degree programmes in Sciences at the University of Otago.
- have sat exams for NZQA New Zealand Scholarship or an international equivalent
- have passed one or more NZQA New Zealand scholarship exams in a science related subject
- not have previously attended a university
- be intending to enrol in their first year of a programme of study for one of the following degrees at the University of Otago: Science: Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Applied Science, Bachelor of Arts and Science, Bachelor of Surveying or degrees from the School of Physical Education (any students intending to enrol in Health Sciences are not eligible to apply for this scholarship)
Note: Students completing University papers while in their final year of high school are eligible for consideration.
The scholarship may be held for the duration of an undergraduate degree programme in sciences (for a maximum of three years), providing that the scholar achieves at least a B average each year and satisfactory progress in all respects.
How to apply?
Each student must:
- submit an application to Scholarships Office on the prescribed form no later than 10 December in the year prior to intended study at the University of Otago
- finalise application on confirmation of the applicants’ NZ Scholarship results or relevant international equivalent, by forwarding a copy of the results notification to the Scholarships Office
- arrange for an academic reference from either the School Principal, Deputy Principal or Head of Science from their secondary school to be forwarded to the Scholarships Office no later than 10 December in the year prior to intended study at the University of Otago